How to Handle and Measure Direct Mail Response
Direct mail is the perfect communications tool for raising awareness of your business, promoting your products, services and special offers and building customer relationships. In this blog series we’ve explored how to plan, budget and get the data for your direct mail campaign and how to manage the creative, production and postage.
In this concluding blog, we wrap up with response handling and measurement.
Get the right response
There is no point spending time and money on a direct mail campaign to drive customer traffic to your shop, website, call centre or elsewhere only to waste the opportunity those responses represent.
To avoid this disappointment, be sure to:
- Make it easy to respond – Freepost or Business Reply Envelopes encourage your recipients to respond without themselves incurring cost, as does a toll-free telephone number
- Prepare your channels – the sales department, shop personnel, call centre, whatever it may be. Make sure they’ve got copies of the direct mail so that they know what people are responding to
- Have plenty of stock – of brochures, samples or whatever else your mailer promises
- Follow-up – if you’re following up by telephone, the people making the calls need to be prepared and have the time to do it
- Update the website – all communications channels need to consistently reflect what the mailer covers. Remember that going online after receiving direct mail is a popular choice - 92% of consumers do it.
Measure the impact
The responses you get to your direct mail campaign will not only (hopefully) lead to business and provide a measure of the campaign’s success in itself, they can also provide useful feedback on reaction to the campaign.
Analyse the responses you get to build profiles of your interested markets.
As online is such a popular route for direct mail recipients to take their interest further, make sure you have an online contact form and digital analytics and tracking in place.
Don’t forget to download all the information from our blog series in the form of our Practical Guide to Creating Effective Direct Mail Campaigns. It contains lots more usefulinformation on how to plan, execute and measure your campaign and also contains the sources of the statistics quoted in this blog.
Why Students are the Real Winners with Parcel Lockers
In terms of technology, educational establishments have gone through vast change during the last century. A hundred years ago, paper and pen were only just replacing easel and chalk. The arrival of the VHS tape in the late 70s enabled teachers to bring video into the classroom....
How can Robotic Process Automation improve business processes
To stay competitive, companies continually strive to increase productivity, control costs and provide an excellent customer experience. By improving business processes, gains can be made in all of these areas and for this reason, businesses are looking at what Robotic Process Automation (RPA) can do for them...