Franking Machine FAQ's
Having a franking machine is a quick and easy way to manage your mail, saving you time and money. Pay for postage credit as and when you need it so you’re in complete control of your postage spend.
Postage discounts for franked mail are applied per item with no restrictions on minimum or maximum postage volumes. Franking is up to 34%* cheaper than using stamps and by preparing larger volumes of mail properly you can access even greater Royal Mail discounts.
* versus using a Second Class stamp
Neopost offer a great range of franking machines, from simple, low-volume options to larger production mail machines. Some will even recognise the size and weight of your mail for faster processing. Our advisors can give you details on what machine is right for you based on the volume and types of mail your business sends.
If your company uses any Royal Mail VAT liable products then a SMART franking machine is mandatory. It allows you to reclaim your VAT.
Neopost franking machines can be bought or leased, we provide a range of support packages that cover mandatory annual inspections and maintenance charges. You will also need consumables – franking ink and franking labels which can be purchased from our neoShop. The cost of running a franking machine can be offset by the discounts available for posting franked mail. Since April 2012 the savings are even greater – 13p on standard First Class and 17p on standard Second Class services.
Using a franking machine is an easy, affordable and flexible way to pay for postage as and when you need it. You can re-credit your machine over the phone line or on-line 24/7 using our secure Credifon® service, never worrying about running out of stamps - and no need to leave the office.
• Pay in arrears - with a neoFunds account there's no risk of running out of postage. A simple, flexible arrangement allowing you to top up your franking machine as often as you need. No pre-paying or making special trips to the post office just use your neoFunds account to refill your franking meter. Receive a monthly bill for postage you have used and choose to pay in full or in part. For convenience, neoFunds charges are incorporated in selected neoCare maintenance packages
• Pay in advance - we assess your postal spend and agree with you a minimum amount to be kept in your account. A direct debit ensures your account is regularly refilled to the minimum value. You can opt to make additional credits to your account to anticipate periods of high postage
All franking machine users can:
• use any franked mail or business mail box
• take it to your nearest Post Office (use Royal Mail Branch Finder here or call the Royal Mail automated information line on 0845 6050767 to find out the address and opening times of your local Delivery Office)
• it may be possible to arrange for Royal Mail to collect it. Check out details of Royal Mail Customer Collection Service here
• you can post your franked mail in a normal post box as long as you use late posting envelopes.
Visit our handy info guides for preparing franked mail - preparing franked mail for collection - preparing franked mail for posting/drop-off
Yes, you can order a slogan block for your message and/or logo - this is a great way to include a marketing message on your outgoing mail. Read more about franking machine slogans here.
You need to make both Neopost and Royal Mail aware as soon as you can and at least 14 days before you move so we can arrange for the license to be amended Also, if you have a slogan on your franking machine and would like this changing, please advise us. There would be a charge for a new slogan.
Neopost automatically send all customers who are affected a letter advising of the forthcoming tariff changes. You may receive a Tariff Chip through the post, or you can access a Tariff download file a few days before the changes are due to take place. See our Tariff Change FAQ's for more information.
Neopost helps customers prepare and limit the cost impact by providing Tariff Change Protection. For a single annual payment, Neopost can provide you with cover for all Royal Mail or Parcelforce tariff changes throughout the year, during the contract period/term.
The Royal Mail Scheme for Franking Letters and Parcels 2008 states in section 7.1 that you must have the correct prices loaded in your equipment at all times. When a Royal Mail price change occurs you must update your franking machine with a tariff chip or price download. Without the correct tariff you could potentially underfrank your mail and become liable to surcharges, or overfrank your mail and pay too much for your postage.
Failure to use the correct Tariff may render the franking equipment inoperable. Royal Mail may instruct Neopost on Royal Mail’s behalf to deduct the value of any Underpayment and/or Service Surcharge, which is payable by the User, from the Franking Account which the User has with Neopost.
Click here for full details of the Royal Mail Scheme for Franking Letters and Parcels.
If a customer changes or upgrades their machine and there is credit left, they will receive a refund for this credit from Royal Mail. The machine is de-commissioned, and the Crown Die is sent to Royal Mail, with a final reading of the credit on the machine. Royal Mail will refund you via cheque.
Franking machine users receive a discount off every item of mail sent compared to using stamps. From April 2012, these discounts became even greater, up to a maximum of 38%. Royal Mail also has a range of postal discounts available depending on the volume of mail you send. Neopost's Account Managers are trained in the application of Royal Mail discounts and can offer advice regarding accessing these through your franking machine. View a list of Royal Mail Franking postal charges here.